Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Where is Homosexual Empathy?

Empathy:  The ability to put yourself in another person's shoes.

A few semesters ago, I took an ethics class at a community college.*  The teacher asked where aligned ourselves on whether we felt homosexuality was a result of nature or nurture .  In other words, do we feel homosexuality is a choice you make or something that you are born with?  About 80% of the class raised their hand and identified with the nurture side of the argument. Meaning, they felt homosexuality was a either a conscience choice made by someone or a result of some sort of psychological trauma.  I was among the few that agree with the nature side of the argument.  Meaning, we felt most homosexuals are "born that way" to some extent and cannot control who they are attracted to.

The nurture argument generally goes as follows: "The Bible says homosexuality is sin.  Why would God create something that is forced to live in that sin?  Therefore, being gay is a choice you make."  As far as I can tell, that argument and the "unnatural" argument are the only arguments used, or some variation of them.  I would like to challenge conventional Christian thinking in regards to this argument...

To do this, all I need is a very simple line of questioning...
Do you believe homosexuality is sin?  (most Christians answer yes)
Do believe man is born into sin? (all Christians answer yes)
Then why can't we be born slanted towards a particular sin?

Christianity teaches we are all born into sin.  Job 15:4, for example, implies that sinfulness is a property of humanity. In Psalm 51:5, the psalmist says that he was born from sin.  And, of course, Romans 3:23 says we are all sinners, falling short of God's standard.  I can cite other verses, but I think all Christians can agree that we are all born sinful.  Sin is not a choice.

We also have no problem conceding that particular sins might be heredity or somehow a part of our DNA.. most of us agree with this in regards to alcoholism, drug abuse, and even a propensity for violence.  So, why not homosexuality? Why do we feel our faith is under attack if someone argues that homosexuality something you are born with?

Think about this:  I am a heterosexual.  I do not decide who I find attractive or who I don't.  If I meet a particular woman and think she's pretty, I cannot make the decision to think otherwise.  If I do not find a particular woman attractive, I cannot not simply decide to find her smokin' hot.  It's not a choice I make.  It either happens or it doesn't.  I can, however, decide who I take on a date, whether or not to be sexuality active, who I have relations with, how I treat somebody, etc.  In other words, to put it bluntly, I can control my penis; I cannot control what my penis likes.

Every homosexual I've known has also said similar things: they are attracted to whom they are attracted to.  They don't make the decision to be or not to be sexuality attracted to a particular man, they say. They just are.

Sin manifests it's self in different ways in different people.  However, all of us are afflicted by it.. that is a core Christian belief.  I think homosexuality that is simply another way sin has manifested itself in certain individuals.  I thank God that it hasn't manifested itself in me.  I am grateful that being with the person I love and living in sin are not the same things in my life.  I cannot imagine the pain Christian homosexuals must feel..

So what's my point?  What am I trying to say?  I'm glad you asked. I am simply asking: where's the empathy?  Why are homosexuals shunned from our churches and alcoholics and other "sinners" are prayed for and accepted?  Why do treat homosexuals as somehow worse sinners than we are?  I fear the reason is mostly the inaccurate view on nature vs. nurture.  We can look at other sins and say, "Bless his heart.  There but for the grace of God go I."  But when it comes to homosexuals, we think "It's his choice.  If he don't want to be judged, he shouldn't be gay."  This is hypocritical.  A homosexual is no more of a sinner than I.

We feel like are losing ground in an argument if we concede that a homosexual may, in fact, be "born that way."  However, this is not the case.  Be careful, if you look at the issue with a different lens, you just might find yourself empathising with the feelings another wretched human being, just like yourself.

More of what this means politically later...

*It should be noted that I am in my 30s and most of the class was right out of high school.  Also, I live in the Deep South and most of the class identified with evangelical (Protestant) Christianity, as I do.  Also, I am a heterosexual male.




1 comment:

  1. Nurture doesn't imply conscious choice, or even trauma. It just means that the environment is a larger factor than an inherent property of the person.

    Not that I disagree that some people are more predisposed to be homosexual; just that it's their experiences early in life that will play a large part in determining if that predisposition will be dormant or active.

    ReplyDelete